Academic Advancement Seminar Series
provide junior faculty and fellows with practical career advice about various aspects of academic life such as writing grants and manuscripts, meeting presentations, balancing career and outside committment, and working with research staff.
Format: These seminars are held the first Friday each month at 1:00 pm, lunch is provided and each session is moderated by 1-3 senior faculty.
Contact: For more information or to be placed on the email list please contact Paul Camarena.
Faculty: Dr. David Reuben, Dr. Alison A. Moore, Dr. Carol M. Mangione, and guest speakers.
· Making the most of your mentor
· Oral presentation skills
· Written presentation skills
· Human subjects protection committee relationships
· Promotion requirements
· Grant writing
· Relating to funders
· Time Management
· Publishing (submitting, and revising)
· Peer-relations (internal and external)
· Mentoring students and fellows
· Site visits
· Career Development Awards
· Using administrative Resources
· Presenting at national meetings
· Pitching yourself
· Hiring personnel
· Balancing priorities
· Saying yes and saying no
· Balancing professional and personal lives